Advent Day 10 – National Savings Certificate, 1943

In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.

The Wings for Victory Campaign was a government initiative to raise funds for the construction of aircraft during the Second World War. Families were also encouraged to donate aluminium household goods for melting down.  Iron railings were also taken, although this appears to have been more for propaganda than reality.  This certificate would have been awarded to the residents of Reed Pond Walk in Gidea Park for their collective effort in raising funds.

IMG_1079 (2)

Donated by Ann Frost

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized, Exhibitions, Romford, Havering, havering museum, Aviation, #HaveringMuseum, Essex, Havering Museum, Local history, WW2 | Leave a comment

Advent Day 9 – Girl Guide badge, c. 1934

In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.

IMG_1081 (2)

This badge was worn by Vera Brazier, the donor’s aunt, who was a member of the “Blue-tit Patrol”, 2nd Hornchurch Company of the Girl Guides. They met at St. Andrew’s Church Hall where they are still based today. The Girl Guides were formed in 1910 by Agnes Baden-Powell whose brother Robert had earlier established the Boy Scouts. He asked if she could form the Girl Guides branch in response to demand for an equivalent society for girls.

Donated by Eva Arbeider

Posted in #HaveringMuseum, Advent, Children, Essex, Family, Havering, havering museum, Havering Museum, Hornchurch, Local history, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Advent Day 8

In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.

IMG_0896 (2)

Maylands Farm in Harold Park has disappeared under the modern suburban development but may have been located along Colchester Road, between David Drive and Geoffrey Avenue.  In light of the direct rail link, Havering dairies sent thousands of pints of milk to London.  Harold Wood milk had a particularly good reputation and the locals once fought plans to build a fever hospital in the area which they feared could contaminate the milk and ruin that reputation.

Donated by Mr. Thorne
Posted in #HaveringMuseum, Advent, Essex, Exhibitions, Havering, havering museum, Havering Museum, Local history, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Advent Day 7 – Romford Market aerial photo 12th April 1927

In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.Romford Market (2)

This aerial photograph captures a snapshot of Romford Market in a bygone time. When this was taken, the livestock market still traded (the metal animal pens are visible center). At the top of the market, Laurie Hall stands beside the road; both closed in 1969, the latter to traffic and the former for demolition. An earlier victim of Romford’s road schemes, in this case widening the road, exists at the bottom right next to the road, facing up the market. This building was the original town courthouse and jail and was demolished in 1933.

Donated by Peter Owen
Posted in Uncategorized, Romford, Market, Havering, havering museum, Aviation, #HaveringMuseum, Essex, Havering Museum, Local history, Advent | Leave a comment

Santa and the Wishing Tree on Saturday 9th December.

Santa will be visiting the Havering Museum this Saturday so book your visit soon to avoid disappointment. There are two sessions, the first starts at 11:30am and again at 1:30pm. The event must be booked in advance so Santa can check that his guests have been well behaved all year and deserve a present from him. Phone 01708 766571 or just pop in to see us between 11am and 4pm to book your place,

Wishing tree

Posted in #HaveringMuseum, Advent, Children, Christmas, Essex, Events, Family, Havering, havering museum, Havering Museum, News, Romford, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Advent Day 6 – Robinson’s Library token

In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.

20 Objects 09 2017 Robinsons Library Token (2)

Information on Robinson’s Library is scarce, but it is thought to have stood in somewhere in the High Street, Romford, during the 19th century. A description on the reverse reveals that, for the sum of a shilling, one could purchase a dozen of these tokens which were worth threepence at the library, “in any purchase amounting to one shilling.” Robinsons Library describes itself on the front of this token as the coupon library.

Donated by Newham Heritage and Archives
Posted in #HaveringMuseum, 19th Century, Advent, Books, Collections, Essex, Exhibitions, Havering, havering museum, Havering Museum, Local history, Romford, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Advent Day 5 – Padfields Dairy milk bottle

In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.

20 Objects 05 Padfield Dairy Bottle (2)

Pages Farm is located in the Shepherds Hill area of Upminster Common. An earlier name, Tithe Farm, belies that it once belonged to Upminster Hall. Described in the Victoria County History of Essex (1978) as a late medieval building with 16th century insertions and a 17th century wing rebuild. It survives as a residential property but research suggests there are still Padfields farming in the Havering area today.

Donated by Mr. Thorne

Posted in #HaveringMuseum, Advent, Essex, Exhibitions, Havering, havering museum, Havering Museum, Local history, Uncategorized, Upminster | Leave a comment