Currently on display in the Museum is a very detailed model of the Royal Palace at Havering-atte-Bower as it would have looked in all its glory during the reign of Elizabeth 1 in 1578. The Palace is standing on what is now the Village Green with St. John the Evangelist Church on the left.
It is likely there would have been a Palace, or hunting lodge, at Havering-atte-Bower as early as the 7th Century during Saxon times. This, the first Royal Palace, would have been built by Sigeberht the Little (king of Essex 617-653), who lived in the area. It would have been a large barn-like wooden structure.
The second Palace was built by Edward the Confessor, who reigned as King of England from 1042-66. Edward gave the Manor of Havering to Harold Godwinson, who later succeeded him as King Harold. When Harold was killed at the Battle of Hastings in 1066, the Manor and Palace was taken over by the new monarch, William the Conqueror, who reigned from 1066-87.
The Palace was used by the all Kings and Queens of England until Charles 1 in 1631 when the building fell into disrepair.
- The model was made by three members of the Romford Historical Society.